Weird issue trying to boot Dell 2450 ...

dwight at supercomputer.org dwight at supercomputer.org
Tue Feb 5 04:20:11 UTC 2008

Yes, if you can find a compatible newer drive, that is the easiest
way to go. A firmware update, as Matt suggested, probably won't do
it. The issue is the laser in the drive itself. It would be tuned
for the CD-R wavelengths, and that's a hardware issue. That's why
CD-RW disks don't work - they're made for a different type of laser.

As for booting off of the hard disk, that's a different problem. It
should be quite straightforward to track down, if you're interested
in the effort.

Assuming that you're using GRUB, the question would be how far do you
get before you see any messages (or do you see any messages at all)?
I.e. are you getting through the master boot block (which contains
the partition table), through to the first stage bootstrap, or any
of the subsequent stages? If you aren't seeing even a "GR", then
you're not getting through the MBR, IIRC.

GRUB has issues with older BIOSes, so it may be an incompatibility
there. There are many alternatives available. syslinux is one. If
you could get that going, you'd be able to boot up a kernel.
Presumeably that would work, if you've been able to install Fedora
on your system via some mechanism.

syslinux, on an active FAT partition, is pretty simple and may be
worth looking at.

   -dwight-