How to restrict package installation to x86_64

John Morris jman at ablesky.com
Wed Feb 20 05:51:52 UTC 2008

Not sure if this is a kickstart, anaconda or yum question, so please
slap and redirect me if this is the wrong forum.

Our server environment is all x86_64 architecture CentOS 5.1, and thus
far, new kickstarts have had only a few i386 arch RPMs installed.
However, now that the nss_ldap package is included in the ks.cfg file,
it is installed in both x86_64 and i386 architectures.  The i386 version
brings a bevy of other supporting packages with it.  I wouldn't care
that much, except that we have a repo of customized packages, all
x86_64, and don't build for the i386 architecture; however, one of the
supporting packages that we've upgraded in our custom repo, openldap,
breaks the install because the original CentOS openldap package of an
earlier version has file conflicts with our newer version.

In kickstart, is there a simple way to restrict package installs to
x86_64 architecture only?  Or is there a different, 'correct' way to
go?  The other solutions I've considered, such as rebuilding our repo
for i386 or removing all i386 packages from the vendor repos, seem
hackish and inconvenient.

Thanks-

    John