initiating kickstart install from fc9 media

Richard fc9 at prosentia.co.uk
Mon Sep 22 00:16:41 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am probably missing something very obvious. But I cannot see how I
initiate the kickstart install from the fc9 media (neither the
Fedora-9-i386-disc1.iso nor the Fedora-9-i386-netinst.iso).

I have performed the following successfully ....
    1. downloaded and extracted the full fc9 DVD.iso to a local
"kickstart server"
    2. downloaded and created CD's from the images ....
            * Fedora-9-i386-disc1.iso
            * Fedora-9-i386-netinst.iso
    3. successfully performed a network install from the extracted fc9
media (via http)
            * booted from Fedora-9-i386-netinst.iso
            * via menu's, pointed installation process at the fc9 media
on my "kickstart server"
            * entered data for configuration and package selection manually
            * ended up with a fully functional server!
    4. copied the kickstart file created during the manual install
            * placed it in the media directory (i.e. ./fc9/i386/os/) as
ks.cfg
            * using a browser from another machine confirmed ks.cfg is
readable via http

Now I want to initiate my kickstart installation to "repeat" the install
I have performed interactively on other machines.  Bit I cannot work out
how using the fc9 media I can access the boot: command line.

The OLDER Fedora install media had a selection menu at boot time that
enabled you to select the command line and simply enter "boot: linux
ks=http://192.168.3.204/fcx/ks.cfg".

The fc9 kickstart documentation still advises to enter a boot command at
the boot prompt. "linux ks=..." etc.

But the fc9 media that I have just runs straight past the point where
you can enter a command at the boot prompt.  I can see this stage of the
install process "flashing by" on the display but it does not pause for
me to make a selection.  I assume this is because there are now separate
.iso images / CD's for the network install and the "CD install".

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Richard