initiating kickstart install from fc9 media

Richard fc9 at prosentia.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 09:36:25 UTC 2008

Hi John,

thanks for the reply.

john> "media" refers to the actual boot disk, not to the install tree.

Yes.  That's what I was referring to - the boot disk created from one of
Fedora-9-i386-disc1.iso, Fedora-9-i386-netinst.iso or
Fedora-9-i386-DVD.iso.

My problem was that whichever one I booted from I could not find the
stage where I could add the necessary "linux ks=http://... etc."
commands in the format that I used on older versions of fedora which is
the same as the format shown in the current anaconda / kickstart
documentation.

Since posting my question on this mailing list I have resolved my problem.

With Fedora 9 media you can initiate a kickstart installation by editing
one of the standard grub menu options (hitting TAB when the menu is
displayed) and ADDING "linux ks=http://ksserver.example.com/ks.cfg
ksdevice=eth0" to the existing text on the command line i.e. "vmlinuz
initrd=initrd.img".  On earlier versions of Fedora, I simply entered the
"linux ks=... " etc. on a blank "boot:" prompt. The Fedora 9 installer
appears to "leap frog" the stage in the boot process where you
previously had the option to open the boot: prompt directly (though you
do see this stage flash past on the display).

Alternatively, you can hit the ESCAPE key when the menu is displayed
which drops you to the boot: prompt. From here the kickstart initiation
is exactly as per old/existing docs.

So the process is ....
    1.  insert CD or DVD
    2.  power on computer
    3.  wait for "Welcome to Fedora 9" menu

Then either ..
    4.  hit the TAB key
    5.  command line is displayed already showing "vmlinuz
initrd=initrd.img"
    6.  edit line to read "vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img linux
ks=http://ksserver.example.com/ks.cfg ksdevice=eth0" and hit the enter key

.. or ..
    4.  hit the ESCAPE key
    5.  boot prompt is displayed
    6.  enter "linux ks=http://ksserver.example.com/ks.cfg
ksdevice=eth0" and hit the enter key

It would be nice if there was a prompt under the menu to "hit ESCAPE for
boot prompt" (as there is for the TAB action).

Thanks for your advice.

Cheers,

Richard