Mapping from old package names to new

Pablo Iranzo Gómez Pablo.Iranzo at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 16:57:46 UTC 2011

Hi

De: "Allison Roth" <Allison.Roth at cmgl.ca>
Para: kickstart-list at redhat.com
Enviados: Martes, 12 de Abril 2011 18:44:43
Asunto: Mapping from old package names to new

I have a kickstart file we’ve been using for at least a couple of years now. However, with RHEL 6, the entire packages section bombs since apparently everything here has been changed. Anyone have any thoughts about how to figure out what the mapping from the old to the new is? I know how to get the list of package names, but how do I know what they contains as opposed to the old names (without a lot of painful trial and error)? For example, we used to install the "development-libs" package. I now no longer see any package named that, so what is it? Is it "additional development"? Is it "compatibility libraries"? Has it been moved under development tools? And that’s just one of about 40 lines in the kickstart packages section.

If anyone has any ideas about how to figure all this out other than just hoping and lots of errors of things missing (or lots of extra packages installed) I’d really appreciate it.
During my initial tests of EL6, I found that some old package names being used in EL4 were provided in EL5 (like mlocate / slocate) but the newer name was the only valid on EL6 so it went so smooth. If you don't want it to bomb, you can use "%packages --ignoremissing" so the missing ones don't break your kickstart.

Have a look at yum grouplist yo see the new names for some groups or you can even ask for specific packages.

Another trick is to create an empty rpm which triggers dependencies to some files for example "/usr/bin/gcc" this is slower, but can do the trick for some files that have changed the package where they were

(for example, hardlink was provided in kernel-utils in EL 4 and 'hardlink' in EL5 but on both, the path was the same /usr/sbin/hardlink)

Regards
Pablo

--

Pablo Iranzo Gómez (Pablo.Iranzo at redhat.com)
Senior Global Profesional Services Consultant (RHCA, RHCSS, RHCDS, RHCVA, RHCE, RHCSP) #804006196923216