[Libguestfs] libguestfs-test-tool on ubuntu: kernel panic

David Konerding dek at konerding.com
Wed Aug 10 16:42:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 09:41:47AM -0700, David Konerding wrote:
> > It's a Lucid Lynx derivative,  and we don't have that package.  Maybe I
> can
> > shoehorn it in.
>
> The one I'm routinely building on is 11.04.
>
> [...]
> > > The problem is that both /bin/bash and libc are completely missing
> > > from the appliance.
> > >

> > i see.
> >

> > > During the build, was febootstrap able to download all the packages it
> > > needed?
> > >

> > Looks like it (I see a bunch of package downloads, none of them failed).
> > However, I re-ran this, and I see this (the list is some ~thousands of
> > files, I guess the entire unpacked root filesystem?)
> >
> > febootstrap: warning: some host files are unreadable by non-root
> > febootstrap: warning: get your distro to fix these files:
> >         /bin/bash
> >         /bin/cat
>
> OK, why is /bin/bash unreadable by non-root?  Is the real /bin/bash
> unreadable?

BTW, it's actually a list of ~8000 files (looks like all the unpacked files
from all the .debs that got downloadeD).

I stopped feboostrap during its download after it downloaded the .deb for
bash (there seems to be no option to force febootstrap to not clean up
/tmp/febootstrap* after running).

I see no reason why feboostrap wouldn't be able to read these files:
2318338    4 drwxr-xr-x   2 dek      redacted          4096 Aug 10 09:39
/tmp/bashpkg/bin
2318444    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 dek      redacted             4 Aug 10 09:39
/tmp/bashpkg/bin/sh -> bash
2318443    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 dek      redacted             4 Aug 10 09:39
/tmp/bashpkg/bin/rbash -> bash
2318339  920 -rwxr-xr-x   1 dek      redacted        934336 Apr 18  2010
/tmp/bashpkg/bin/bash