[Libguestfs] libguestfs powerpc package

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Apr 22 11:40:06 UTC 2014

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 11:20:44PM +0200, Roberto Innocenti wrote:
> I have successfully compiled on G4 powerpc libguestfs ( last stable version
> 1.26.0 ) and supermin 5.1.7 but
>
> supermin doesn't recognise a suitable kernel ( vmlinuz*) to build the
> appliance, looking on the kernel.ml code (language that I never have seen)
> I have see that it check only i386 and arm architecture, in any case look
> like it search a vmlinuz* with host_cpu, in case of powerpc look like it
> search vmlinuz*powerpc*
>
> In my /boot I have only 2 kernel with powerpc inside (
> vmlinux-3.11.0-6-powerpc-smp) and the 3.13.9 with out (vmlinux-3.13.9kvmth)
> and with vmliux not vmlinu
>
> *z*
>
> *I have tried to make symlink of my vmlinux with vmlinuz*powerpc* but the
> error is the same:*supermin -v -v -v --build --format ext2 supermin.d -o
> appliance.d
>
> supermin: failed to find a suitable kernel.
>
> I looked for kernels in /boot and modules in /lib/modules.
>

> My impression is that supermin5 doesn't work properly building aplliance
> with powerpc architecture.

I agree.  It looks like supermin 5 needs additional code to work on
powerpc (32 bit) because of the unusual kernel name.  (It should still
work fine if you set SUPERMIN_KERNEL).

I have got it working successfully on ppc64 on Fedora where the kernel
is called /boot/vmlinuz*.ppc64

You could file all the details in a bug report here:

  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?component=supermin&product=Fedora

I particularly need to know:

 - The exact contents of /boot

 - The exact host_cpu string