[Libguestfs] CoreOS support

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 19:26:41 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 10:21:05PM +0300, Keresztes Péter-Zoltán wrote:
> Unfortunately this is a prebuilt proxmox server which is running on
> debian wheezy and I cannot even install the latest version of
> libguesfs because of this.

That is unfortunate.  However libguestfs works because it uses the
kernel drivers for all these filesystems (we don't implement anything
ourselves), and thus it relies on the kernel drivers working.  If the
kernel doesn't work, libguestfs won't work.

If you are able to compile things on this server then you could
compile supermin 5 & libguestfs on the server, and point it to an
updated kernel image.  This is all possible w/o root:

http://libguestfs.org/guestfs-faq.1.html#how-can-i-compile-and-install-libguestfs-if-my-distro-doesnt-have-new-enough-qemu-supermin-kernel

Note you will need supermin 5 / libguestfs >= 1.26 for this to work,
and the version of libguestfs you were using was too old, and will
*not* work as described in the FAQ.