[Libguestfs] [ovirt-users] OVA import of FC21 VM hangs during virt-v2v conversion?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 22:39:13 UTC 2016

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 05:30:55PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, November 16, 2016 5:15 pm, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 05:09:56PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> >
> > I'll try to reproduce the issue here, but you can also do
> > the following command directly on the guest disk image if you
> > want to test something:
> >
> >   time LIBGUESTFS_BACKEND=direct guestfish --ro -a fc21-64.qcow2 -i
> > selinux-relabel /etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts /
> > force:true
> >
> > As long as you make sure you use the '--ro' flag, this will not make
> > any changes to the disk image.
>
> The OVA has a .vmdk file inside it.  I have no idea where ovirt put the
> .qcow2 file.  I suppose I would need to track it down through the VM GUID?

Safest and easiest would be to run the command on the .vmdk file.  The
command creates an overlay and works in roughly the same was as
virt-v2v itself does.

> Can I run this command on the disk image of a running VM that's already
> been imported?

As long as you use --ro it's safe to use.  However I'd suggest running
it on the source .vmdk to be as close as possible to what virt-v2v was
doing.

[...]
> So noted.  Like I said, I can supply you the ova file if you think it
> would help.  It's only 1.7GB  ;)

Let's see if this command takes a long time first.  It could be the
cause is elsewhere.