[Libguestfs] [ovirt-users] OVA import of FC21 VM hangs during virt-v2v conversion?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Nov 17 01:07:15 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Wed, November 16, 2016 5:39 pm, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 05:30:55PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, November 16, 2016 5:15 pm, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> > On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 05:09:56PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> >
>> > I'll try to reproduce the issue here, but you can also do
>> > the following command directly on the guest disk image if you
>> > want to test something:
>> >
>> >   time LIBGUESTFS_BACKEND=direct guestfish --ro -a fc21-64.qcow2 -i
>> > selinux-relabel /etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts /
>> > force:true
>> >
>> > As long as you make sure you use the '--ro' flag, this will not make
>> > any changes to the disk image.
>>
>> The OVA has a .vmdk file inside it.  I have no idea where ovirt put the
>> .qcow2 file.  I suppose I would need to track it down through the VM
>> GUID?
>
> Safest and easiest would be to run the command on the .vmdk file.  The
> command creates an overlay and works in roughly the same was as
> virt-v2v itself does.
>
>> Can I run this command on the disk image of a running VM that's already
>> been imported?
>
> As long as you use --ro it's safe to use.  However I'd suggest running
> it on the source .vmdk to be as close as possible to what virt-v2v was
> doing.
>
> [...]
>> So noted.  Like I said, I can supply you the ova file if you think it
>> would help.  It's only 1.7GB  ;)
>
> Let's see if this command takes a long time first.  It could be the
> cause is elsewhere.

I found the disk image for the running VM, created a symlink, and then ran
the command above.  It took a while:

# time LIBGUESTFS_BACKEND=direct guestfish --ro -a fc21-64.qcow2 -i
selinux-relabel /etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts /
force:true

real	114m17.757s
user	114m16.476s
sys	0m6.042s

I could do it off the vmdk if you wish, but I'm sure there haven't been
many significant changes to the VM since it was imported.  Besides, I
suspect it wouldn't change the outcome of the test.

> Rich.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745