[Libguestfs] [nbdkit] Plan for nbdkit 1.4?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jul 5 21:04:27 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 05, 2018 at 01:12:14PM -0500, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 07/01/2018 11:05 AM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >I'd like to suggest that we release nbdkit 1.4 (next stable branch) soon.
> >
> >The last stable branch was effectively released in January this year
> >(although I didn't actually implement the stable/development branch
> >policy until April).
> >
> >There has been a lot of development since then:
> >
> >  - Switch to defaulting to newstyle protocol.
> >  - On-demand ramping of thread pool.
> >  - TRIM support in the file plugin.
> >  - nbdkit_parse_size rewritten.
> >  - Test IPv6 connections.
> >  - Reworked error handling.
> >  - New log filter.
> >  - New blocksize filter.
> >  - New nozero filter.
> >  - New fua filter.
> >  - New can_zero, can_fua methods and better handling of FUA.
>
> I proposed python plugin implementations of these, but never got
> around to testing that they worked in both python 2/3,

One thing I was thinking to do after the 1.4 split was to duplicate
the plugins/python directory into
{ plugins/python2 , plugins/python } (where the latter would be
Python 3 / current Python only).

It would let us remove awkward conditional code and make it much
easier to parallel build python2 & python3 plugins.

Rich.