[Libguestfs] oVirt import from VMware

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jun 10 16:55:11 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 12:32:14PM -0400, Alan Daniels wrote:
> Unfortunately this issue (or something similar) has resurfaced with another VM.
> Several VMs have worked.
>
> This Windows VM is failing to import, either via the oVirt GUI or running
> virt-v2v directly. Attached the log and here is the snippet that seems relevant
> to me.

The log again indicates that C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe is missing.
As before I've no idea why this is.  Could be something about the
filesystem, ovftool, ntfs-3g, qemu's vmdk driver, etc.  If you wanted
to debug this you could try mounting the second partition of the disk
with guestfish and seeing if the file exists.

Anyway you will likely find the VDDK method is better.  It's faster,
doesn't involve doing multiple steps and it's the method that most
customers prefer.

https://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v-input-vmware.1.html#input-from-vddk