[Libguestfs] oVirt import from VMware

Alan Daniels alan at softdrive.co
Mon Jun 14 02:54:04 UTC 2021

We configured the VDDK import method, and it works for some VMs, but
it still has this "could not detect the source guest" error.

It is convenient that the VDDK method is one step. Although a downside is
that it doesn't really report the estimated completion time / progress. We
needed to use VDDK6 since 7 wasn't working (this issue is fixed in
RHEL8.x from my understanding).

virt-v2v \
-v -x \
-ic "vpx://vsphere.local%5cadministrator@<vcenter>/Datacenter/<esxi>" \
-it vddk \
-io vddk-libdir=<path to vmware-vix-disklib-distrib> \
-io vddk-thumbprint=<thumbprint> \
"<VM name>" \
-o rhv-upload \
-oc <ovirt fqdn>/ovirt-engine/api \
-os <storage domain> \
-op <path to ovirt pw> \
-of raw \
-oo rhv-cafile=<path to ca.pem> \
-oo rhv-cluster=<cluster>

I'll try comparing the VMX files for the passing/failing VMs and looking
inside the guest OS. I'll also try this guestfish investigation. If you
have any other suggestions though, please let me know.

Thanks!
- Alan