[Libvir] Re: support for hvm guests

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Apr 10 09:35:05 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 04:10:36PM -0600, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> FYI, I'm working on a patch to support hvm guests.

  Okay, cool. Note that I have no such hardware handy (but could get remote
access to those) so that's a kind a scenario I will have some troubles
running regression tests against in the near future.

> Attached is the work thus far.

  I see, also includes the end of life events patch now in CVS.

> Calling "virsh dumpxml some_hvm_guest" will (almost)
> correctly dump xml config info on hvm guests.  Needs to handle
> "type=ioemu" component of VIF specification.  Currently in the XML there
> is a type attribute for the interface element that specifies bridge,
> route, etc.  How would you like to structure the interface element and
> its children to account for hvm guests?

  Well <interface type='iommu'> and then as sub elements the extra
informations needed, sounds the closer to the existing format. But
is that making sense from a logical point of view ?

> Using "virsh create file" where file contains XML config for hvm guests
> may be close to working but I haven't tested it yet.  There are several
> options that need to be added to the XML to support hvm guests.  If we
> can agree on the structure I can add the functionality.

  My two main goals when extending the XML format are:
    - try to keep it logical and as generic as possible
    - keep it fully documented
second point should be easier if first point is followed :-)

So what else is needed than the IOMMU network interfaces for hvm guests ?
Also since I can't really test it right now, please feel in charge of
driving this :-)