[Libvir] Major extensio of test backend driver functionality

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Aug 16 16:31:53 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 11:24:38AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 04:09:10PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >
> > The individual domains 'testdomfv0.xml' and 'testdomfc4.xml' are defined
> > using the regular libvirt XML format. The only exception is that the 'type'
> > attribute on the top level '<domain>' tag should be 'test' instead of 'xen'
>
>   Sounds very cool :-)
>
> [...]
> > Next up, I've written implementations of the set memory, set max memory,
> > set vcpus, dump xml, create linux APIs for the test driver. THe only major
>
>   Okay. Push that too, you're basically in control of the test driver :-)

Ok, I've commited this now, along with example config files in the docs/
directory.

> > areas of functionality lacking in the test driver now are handling of disk
> > and network devices when creating domains, and the VCPU pinning methods.
> > This test backend makes testing the virt-manager application much more
> > reliable - although we still do need some level of testing against a real
> > Xen backend (for example domain creation).
>
>   The big problem of real regression tests is the amount of data needed,
> it's like 1GB per Xen system image, I don't see how that could go into CVS,
> though I would really like to be able to always run 'make tests' and know
> I didn't broke something in my local changes ... I welcome ideas on the
> subject, the test driver will allow to cover some part of the code, but
> not all of it that's sure.

Yeah, my intention for the test driver is that it lets us get unit test
level coverage of all the APIs & virsh. For functional / integration testing
though we'll need real Xen guests - given the complexity & reliance on state
of the host system I think it would be unrealistic to expect this type of
functionality to be run as part of 'make test'. My dev box runs many Xen
guests of varying flavours - I wouldn't want to have to shut them all down
load special libvirt test VMs, every time I did 'make test' :-)

Regards,
Dan.