[Libvir] virDomainDump() API (equivalent to xm dump) in libvirt?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Nov 3 16:56:55 UTC 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 11:36:32AM -0500, Lon Hohberger wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 10:53 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >     - can we implement it with current xen, again yes, we should be able
> >       if we have a full connection (root) to do the same as 'xm dump-core'
>
> Yes, given that xm dump-core can do it ;)
>
> >     - is the API clean enough, I guess the semantic is relatively clear
> >       instead of stating 'If you set the lowest-bit in flags' I would rather
> >       define a DumpFlags enum and state that flags is an or'ing of any of them
> >       I would probably name the function virDomainDumpCore though to not
> >       confuse with virDomainSave
>
> Totally correct here, it should be an enum of flags (with only one
> defined initially; I don't know what other flags there might be.
>
> >  So yes, why not, you want to work on it ? Or should I (or any candidate).
>
> Give me a few; I'll check on this.  I don't have problems trying it, but
> I will have a learning curve of course.

  Let's see if I was to do it I would:
    0/ check out a CVS tree http://libvirt.org/downloads.html
    1/ look how xm communicate with xend on that command
    2/ isolate another similar entry point from xend_internal.c and
       see how to generate the same kind of command but for the core dump
       for example xenDaemonDomainSave ()
       test by linking statically from a small test program
 then the next steps are rather integration problems
    3/ extend the back-end driver to add a DumpCore entry point and the
       enum in the header (beware it's include/libvirt/libvirt.h.in)
    4/ modify all the drivers to have NULL entry points except for the
       virDriver xenDaemonDriver one adding the new function at the end.
    5/ create the real entry point in libvirt.c, add the initial check for
       the flag and the domain status

 basically if you just have 1 and 2, sending the diff here I can take care
quickly of the purely integration details,

  hope this helps,