[Libvir] Set memory (decrease) from Virt Manager

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 10:54:50 UTC 2007

[copied to et-mgmt-tools - please followup there]

Bruce Evans wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to lower the amount of memory for a Domain
> using the Virt manager.
>
> I am denied from doing this if I want to decrease the memory
> below 50MB, even though I can do it
> from virsh.  There appears to be a low end limit of
> 50MB in the Virt Manager.
>
> If the current memory allocation is greater than 50MB, I can
> decrease the amount from Virt Manager, but can't go under 50MB.
>
> But if I use virsh, I can decrease the memory to, say, 13000KB
> and it works.  The Virt Manger will show this new amount but will
> only enable the 'increase' icon in the 'Change Allocation option box.
> The 'decrease' icon is disabled.
>
> Is this a bug in Virt Manager?  If not, why can't the memory
> be decreased below 50MB?

Yes, it seems to be the case that the adjustment in virt-manager is
limited to min of 50MB (and to a max of 32000MB which is probably also a
bug):

   In src/vmm-details.glade:

     <widget class="GtkSpinButton" id="config-maxmem">
         <property name="adjustment">50 50 32000 5 10 10</property>

     <widget class="GtkSpinButton" id="config-memory">
         <property name="adjustment">50 50 32000 5 10 10</property>

Rich.