[Libvir] Re: Documentation on the xml format

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Dec 28 16:00:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, Dec 28, 2007 at 01:53:49PM +0100, Daniel Schwager wrote:
> >Unfortunately this level of detail is only in the source, and usually
> >depends on the backend (Xen/QEMU/whatever).
> >
> >If you'd like to help document these sorts of issues, then we'd welcome
> >patches.  The source for this page is in libvirt CVS doc/ directory.
> >
> >http://libvirt.org/format.html
>
> I want extend the java-libvirt implementation based on the code of
> István Tóth. Therefore, I created a XSD file (XML description file).
> This could be a base for the XML-documentation.
>
> Should I post it ?

Certainly!

There's also a (slightly out of date now)  RelaxNG schema here:

   http://libvirt.org/libvirt.rng

The 'http://libvirt.org/format.html' page was useful in the beginning as a
gentle introduction to the domain XML, but I feel we need to provide a formal
reference of all elements & attributes we support. I wonder if Daniel has
some magic to auto-generate a nice HTML reference based on embedded docs in
a schema file....

> One more question: Is there a changelist for the libvirt API between 0.3.2 and 0.4 ?
> The code based on 0.3.2 ...

Various sources:

  - ChangeLog - details each individual commit
  - NEWS - details significant enhancements between releases
  - http://libvirt.org/hvsupport.html details when each drivier
    implements a particular API.

Dan.