[Libvir] Preliminary patch to support remote driver / libvirtd

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Feb 1 17:10:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 05:02:08PM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 15:25 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>
> >   * Remote URLs contain either a server name or a remote transport
> >   * name.  For example: "qemud://server.example.com/system" contains
> >   * a server name (server.example.com), and "qemud+unix:///system"
> >   * contains a transport (unix).  Commonly remote URLs contain
> >   * both, for example: "qemud+tls://server.example.com/system"
> >   * (transport tls, server name server.example.com).
>
> 	This makes my head hurt a bit, I think I prefer the libvirt:// even if
> it means encoding URIs in URIs.
>
> 	i.e. I would expect to connect to e.g. qemud:// and xend:// URIs to
> using the same protocol whether the URI is local or remote.

That's already not the case with Xen.  I think of the leading foo:// bit of
the URI to mean the type of libvirt  driver being requested. For xen this can
be hypercalls, xend or libvirt_proxy. We now merely adding in libvirtd for
delaing with case of asking for a remote connection. Not to mention that
we reserve the right to change the underlying comms protocol associated with
a URI. eg changing from xend SEXPR to xend's XML-RPC/

> 	I don't know, it's not something I really care about ... but I'd find
> it strange if qemud+tls://foo.bar.com/system means "access
> qemud:///system via a libvirt proxy" ...

I all really comes down to what we want to define the URIs to mean in
the context of libvirt. With my virt-manager hat on, it makes life much
nicer to have qemud:///system  and qemud://example.com/system when
dealing with URIs internally.

Dan.