[Libvir] Question about libvirt integration into RHEL-5

Philippe Berthault Philippe.Berthault at Bull.net
Thu Jan 11 11:21:45 UTC 2007

Daniel Veillard a écrit :
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 11:42:31AM +0100, Philippe Berthault wrote:
>
>> Daniel Veillard a écrit :

>>>  Can explain your problem instead ?
>>> What is the feature or behaviour you need to detect ?
>>>

>> We have to know if the Attach/Detach devices functions will be in the
>> libvirt library of RHEL-5 RC1
>>

>   No this was done after the code freeze, and not request by a partner
> as a feature for RHEL-5, so this is not present.
>

>> and also if some enhancements of the XML
>> format will be present such as currentMemory, ...
>>

> Yes currentMemory will be in. This should not be a big problem, you can generate
> the XML with it, and if the library don't understand it, it should just ignore
> it.
> The set of patches are the following:
>
> Patch0: create_message.patch   -> bug fix
> Patch1: libvirt-0.1.8-shreable-disk.patch -> shareable disk
> Patch2: localization.patch -> localization
> Patch3: core_dump.patch    -> support for domain core dump
> Patch4: current_memory.patch -> current memory amount support
> Patch5: bootloader.patch   -> bug fix for pygrub bootloader
> Patch6: python-lock.patch  -> release python lock when calling libvirt
> Patch7: ostype.patch       -> os type bug fix
> Patch8: vcpu_info.patch    -> bug fix
> Patch9: pvfb.patch         -> Paravirt frame buffer support
> Patch10: pvfb2.patch
> Patch11: maxid_check.patch -> bug fix

Your reply doesn't explain how it will be possible in an application to
known the functionalities level of libvirt by using the virGetVersion()
function. For RHEL-5 RC1, we have now the response but this problem will
occur again in the future with RHEL-5 update-1, update-2, ... and so on.

My understanding is that the virGetVersion() function is useless :-(