[Libvir] Remote patch, 2007-02-28

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 09:56:08 UTC 2007

Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 11:25:32AM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what you mean by 'expose the remote interface directly' ?
>>> Do you mean allow arbitrary non-libvirt clients to speak to the server
>>> daemon directly, or something else ?
>> I've been wondering this morning what reasons clients would have for
>> wanting to reverse-engineer/reimplement the wire protocol.  If they're
>> using an obscure language without libvirt support?  (Answer: write some
>> libvirt bindings, stupid!)  If they're using an obscure language which
>> lacks a C FFI?  If they have license problems with libvirt?
>
>   Keeping C library based binding for a Java application is really
> annoying, and JNI is like designed to make this hard.

Yes JNI sucks.  Does anyone know what SWIG support for Java is like?
(It's pretty terrible for OCaml, the only language where I've used it,
but it is supposed to be better for more mainstream langs).

Rich.

--
Emerging Technologies, Red Hat  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/
64 Baker Street, London, W1U 7DF     Mobile: +44 7866 314 421