[libvirt] version script and non-existent symbols

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 21:32:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 08:50:33PM +0000, John Levon wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 06:19:52PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
> > > I think the solution to the latter is to provide stubs that return
> > > failure codes for every symbol that can be ./configured out. So we'd
> > > introduce a stubs.c file that has these for everything, and compile each
> > > of the stubs if the relevant WITH_ option isn't set.
> >
> > I think I'd be more inclined to split up the libvirt_sym.version.in
> > file into pieces, one providing all the public API symbols, which
> > would never change. Then for all the private symbols have them in
> > a file matching the source file, eg for domain_conf.h, have a file
> > domain_conf.sym.  Finally have a rule to merge all the .sym files
> > using the same #ifdef as we use to turn on/off various files
>
> It's actually not clear to me why some of these are even in the version
> script. For example, why is brSetEnableSTP() there?

It is used from the network_driver.c file, and that is linked to the
daemon, while brSetEnableSTP is part of the .so, so it has to be added
to the private exports section. About 70% of them are there for that
reason. Then, if we build drivers as dlopen()'able modules, even more
needed to be exported in the private section.