[libvirt] New Libvirt Implementation - OpenNebula

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 16:29:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 05:21:50PM +0100, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 05:04:50PM +0100, Stefan de Konink wrote:
> >>Last time *your* argument was that the API would get too big. Now why
> >>isn't that argument valid anymore? I'm honestly asking for an
> >>explanation on this point, and I do expect you have it.
> >
> >You are confusing internal API with external API. The external API has
> >scalability issues because it is a long term supported ABI. The internal
> >API size is irrelevant because we can & will change that at will. The
> >domain XML handling API is internal only for in-tree drivers. So there
> >has been no change in policy wrt to the external API
>
> Is an external tool able to use the internal XML handling (from a C
> perspective?) or isn't this code exported to the shared library?

No, the internal APIs are only intended for use by code that is part of
libvirt source tree. While some of the internal APIs may appear in the
shared library, they are strictly for private use by the libvirtd daemon
because we can make no guarentee that they will work across even bug-fix
releases of libvirt. We are working on enforcing the privacy of internal
APIs using better linker scripts to control symbol visibility.