[libvirt] libvirt-qpid

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Oct 6 14:18:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 02:50:08PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >   If then I install and start qpidd on machine B qpid-tool can connect
> > to it ... but the already started libvirt-qpid don't seems to be
> > able to find it, unless I restart it which seems to indicate a failure
> > to connect after startup. And I'm still only able to list local
> > domains/nodes never remote ones.
> >
> >   Ideas ?
>
> I got this working across 3 machines as follows
>
>  - Machine A provides a Qpid broker, run as root with
>
>        qpidd --auth no
>
>  - Machine B and C are libvirt hosts, each run a libvirtd, and libvirt-qpid
>
>        libvirt-qpid --broker machineA.example.com
>

> On machine A, if you run 'qpid-tool' you should now see node, domain
> objects from both machines B & C. NB, it take 5-10 seconds from
> starting libvirt-qpid before they appear in the broker

  I got this working it's just that my firewall rules on node A blocked
access !
  Basically one need to open TCP port 5672 on the machine running the
QPid broker (and possibly 5671 when SSL auth is to be used once
configured).
  Also the simplest is to edit /etc/qpidd.conf on the broker node and
add :

auth=no

then restart the broker with "/etc/init.d/qpidd restart"
and on all the monitored nodes edit /etc/sysconfig/libvirt-qpid and
add :

LIBVIRT_QPID_ARGS="--broker 192.168.0.11"

and also restart the libvirt-qpid service on them.
Assuming the services gets started automatically all the nodes will
connect automatically to the broker upon reboot without manual tuning.

   very cool !

I'm just wondering if there is any DNS customization trick which would
allow the qpid client to automatically find the broker based on the DNS
settings (things like _qpid._tcp SRV entries in the local domain). That
would avoid the configuration on each monitored node.