[libvirt] [RFC] Storage volume clone API

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 15:10:35 UTC 2009

> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 03:28:54PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Attached is a stab at an API for cloning a storage volume. This patch
>> implements the command for FS volumes, along with a virsh command
>> 'vol-clone'. This builds on the previously posted 'drop pool lock during
>> volume creation' work.
>>
>> The new API call looks like:
>>
>> /**
>>  * virStorageVolClone:
>>  * @vol: pointer to storage vol to clone
>>  * @xmldesc: description of volume to create
>>  * @flags: flags for creation (unused, pass 0)
>>  *
>>  * Clone a storage volume within the parent pool.
>>  * Information for the new volume (name, perms)
>>  * are passed via a typical volume XML description
>>  * Not all pools support cloning of volumes
>>  *
>>  * return the storage volume, or NULL on error
>>  */
>> virStorageVolPtr
>> virStorageVolClone(virStorageVolPtr vol,
>>                    const char *xmldesc,
>>                    unsigned int flags)
>
> One potentially annoying restriction of this API is that it would not
> allow for cloning between storage pools. eg clone an LVM volume to
> a qcow2 file.
>
> While I don't think we need to actually implement that kind of cross
> pool cloning right now, I think it is worth allowing for it in the
> API contract.
>
> Thus I'd suggest taking the virStorageVolCreateXML() API as is and
> then adding an extra 'clone' parameter
>
> virStorageVolPtr        virStorageVolCreateXMLFrom(virStoragePoolPtr pool,
>                                                    const char *xmldesc,
>                                                    unsigned int flags,
>                                                    virStorageVolPtr clone);

Ah sorry, I guess I didn't really consider the case of cloning between
storage pools. I think the above prototype looks good.

> One could argue we don't need this at all, and we should just add a 'copy'
> API
>
>   int virStorageVolCopyData(virStorageVolPtr vol,
>                             virStorageVolPtr from);
>
> but being able to create + initialize data in one go might well allow for
> some optimizations with some types of storage.

Hmm, this is interesting. The above ties into something I've been
wondering about: an API to import to a volume from an arbitrary path.
This would allow virt-manager users an option to, say, move install
media from their homedir to a storage pool. But that's a separate
discussion.

>> The user passes information about the new volume via <volume> XML.
>> Currently we only use the passed name and permissions values, but
>> backingStore info could also be relevant, and 'format' if we allow
>> cloning between image formats.
>>
>> Current limitations:
>>
>> - Parsing the 'clone' xml will complain if the 'capacity' element hasn't
>> been specified, even though it is meaningless for the new volume. Not
>> too sure what the right thing to do here is.
>
> I think it depends how you define the semantics of the clone operation.
>
> My feeling is that this should follow the same rules as the normal
> create call in all aspect, and that the 'clone' volume is just there
> as a data source.
>
> There's no reason the new volume has to be forced to be the same
> capacity as the one being cloned. If its bigger that just means
> there's some uninitialized data at the end which is perfectly OK.
> The guest admin can extend the partition table / filesystem as
> desired.  If smaller you could just truncate copied data at that
> point, though its more quesitonable whether that's useful.

Sounds good.

>> - A clone of a raw sparse file will turn out fully allocated. Could
>> probably borrow code from 'cp' to try and get this right.
>
> It is pretty easy to do a good approximation of sparseness. You're
> copying in 1 MB chunks. So before write()ing the 1 MB out to the
> target, just do a scan to see if its all zeros. If it is, then
> do a lseek()  instead. This is what virt-clone currently does.

I'll give that a shot.

>> - Doesn't handle backing stores. I think we would need to call out to
>> 'qemu-img convert' to have any chance of getting this right. And if we
>> do that, we could also allow cloning from one image format to another.
>
> For non-raw formats you want to call out to qemu-img anyway because
> you need to be able to have a larger target image. This will require
> differnet metadata being written in the qcow/vmdk/etc headers, so a
> plain byte-wise clone won't be sufficient.

Right, with the ability to specify a different capacity for the new
volume, using qemu-img is a must. I'll incorporate that into my next patch.

Thanks,
Cole