[libvirt] [libvirt 0.6.4] Unable to set /domain/devices/serial[@port=1] as console?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jul 17 18:13:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 08:24:10PM -0500, Charles Duffy wrote:
> When I do a "virsh define" with the following:
>
>     <serial type='file'>
>       <source path='/path/to/serial.log'/>
>       <target port='0'/>
>     </serial>
>     <serial type='pty'>
>       <target port='1'/>
>     </serial>
>     <console type='pty'>
>       <target port='1'/>
>     </console>
>
> The result is this:
>
>     <serial type='file'>
>       <source path='/path/to/serial.log'/>
>       <target port='0'/>
>     </serial>
>     <serial type='pty'>
>       <target port='1'/>
>     </serial>
>     <console type='file'>
>       <source path='/path/to/serial.log'/>
>       <target port='0'/>
>     </console>
>
> ...a markedly different configuration.
>
> Is this the result of a bug, or a known behavior I've failed to catch in
> the docs?

Mostly a docs issue. The <console> element is defined to refer to the
first text console available for the guest. For Xen paravirt, this is
the xen xvc0/hvc0 paravirt console. For Xen/QEMU fullyvirt guests this
is currently defined to be the first serial port. In the very near
future I will make it possible to override this behaviour, ostensibly
to let us use VirtIO console. I hadn't considered the case that someone
might want to make the <console> match the secondary serial port, but
if practical I can try and make that work.