[libvirt] libvirt usage

Zvi Dubitzky DUBI at il.ibm.com
Thu Mar 12 17:06:44 UTC 2009

Hi

I have a Ubutnu system .
I installed  libxml2 and   libvirt   packages by : apt-get install
ibvirt-bin and    .. libxml2 .
They were installed ok .    The libraries are located under /user/lib e.g
: /usr/lib/libvirt.so.0

I  am trying to link  as follows:
  CFLAGS=`pkg-config --cflags libvirt`
  LDFLAGS=`pkg-config --libs libvirt`
  gcc -o test_cpu $CFLAGS $LDFLAGS test_cpu.c

But get the message :

Package libvirt was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libvirt.pc'
No package 'libvirt' found

It turns  out that  doing :   pkg-config  --list-all  | grep libvirt

return no libvirt traces . just as in the file below  .  On another older
machine that  links fine -  libvirt is found with the above pkg-config but
there is no PKG_CONFIG_PATH env variable as well .
Both machines PATH is the same .

 Did I miss something during the install  of the first machine. Any remedy
?

Zvi Dubitzky
Virtualization and System Architecture   Email:dubi at il.ibm.com
IBM Haifa Research Laboratory    Phone: +972-4-8296182
Haifa, 31905, ISRAEL