[libvirt] USB device with product id 0x0000

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri May 15 23:10:46 UTC 2009

On 05/15/2009 05:58 PM, André Welter wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I'm new to this list and I joined because I stumbled upon a problem I
> could not find mentioned anywhere.
>
> I have a usb device (a bluetooth dongle) that reports a product id of
> 0x0000. When I try to attach this to a domain I get a "missing product"
> error.
>
> I checked the sources (0.6.3) and found in domain_conf.c lines 1645
> following a check for a product id different from 0. If I remove this
> check and recompile everything works fine. I can attach the device to
> the virtual machine and it is recognized.
>
> I don't know the background of this check and if disabling it has any
> negative consequences so I would be happy about any comments.

Sounds like the code just wasn't expecting '0' to be a valid product
code. The check that is tripping you up on is assuming that if product
== 0, the user didn't specify any product in the xml.

The thing to do is to initialize 'product = -1' at the beginning of that
function (and add a quick comment that '0' is a valid value), and then
update the checks at the end of the function accordingly.

- Cole