[libvirt] Dead code vs. XXX comment: remove or not?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Sep 4 14:44:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 06:28:13PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> clang reported that this assignment to type is a dead store,
> since type is never used after this point.
>
> This is xm_internal.c, line 1074:
>
>             /* XXX Forcing to pretend its a bridge */
>             if (type == -1) {
>                 type = 1;
>             }
>
> Normally I'd just remove the whole if block, but the XXX comment
> makes me think someone has plans for this code.
>
> I'll wait for a second opinion.

  Seems to me we used to expect type would be used to keep the trace
of the type of the vif, but we never use that variable, only for that
test. I would just kill it from that block

    list = virConfGetValue(conf, "vif");
    if (list && list->type == VIR_CONF_LIST) {
        list = list->list;
        while (list) {
            int type = -1;

  since we never use the value anywhere !