[libvirt] [libvirt-users] libvirt: C++ or Java?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Apr 12 12:32:45 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 04:19:14PM +0530, Ganesh Pagade wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am planning to develop a management application for managing Redhat Xen
> and Redhat KVM hypervisors. I am evaluating the Java bindings versus the C++
> version of libvirt. As part of evaluation, I could not find meaningful
> answers to the questions below. Hence, I thought that people on this mailing
> list would be the most appropriate to comment on them. Can you please let me
> know your views?

  Hum, could you avoid posting the same questions 4 times on the list,
thanks !

> 1. Are all functions that are available in C API available in Java?

  there can be a bit of lag

> 2. Are Java bindings added along with every enhancement to C API?

  those are separate code bases, so no guarantee. Using the C api
is the only way to make sure you have access to the latest features,
Python is usually up to date too as it's included in the main tree
and releases.

> 3. If answer to above question is negative, typically how long does it takes
> for the addition of Java bindings for the enhancement?

  Time for Bryan Kearney to realize the gap and implement it. It goes
faster if he's notified or receive patches of course.

> 4. Most of libvirt based third party management applications use which of
> Java bindings or C API?

 We use python a lot ourselves.