[libvirt] 'dommemstat' is not working for LXC hypervisor.

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Apr 28 10:39:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:00:09PM +0530, Kumar L Srikanth-B22348 wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I am using libvirt version 0.8.0. I created a domain 'srikanth_vm' using
> 'lxc' hypervisor. I am able to start the Domain. But, I am not able to
> get the memory stats for that Domain.
>
> If I issue 'dommemstat Srikanth_vm' in the virsh console, the following
> error is throwing:
>
> error: Failed to get memory statistics for domain srikanth_vm
>
> error: this function is not supported by the hypervisor:
> virDomainMemoryStats

That is expected - no one has implemented the dommemstat API for the LXC
driver yet, though it should be really quiet easy todo so. All the info
should be available  already via the memory cgroup controller

> Can you please let me know, how can I get memory stats for a particular
> domain in libvirt?

The virDomainGetInfo API / virhs dominfo  command shows you the overall
allocated memory. The dommemstats command gives you a finer breakdown
of usage of that memory by the guest

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|