[libvirt] Hyper-V driver ?

Michael Sievers msievers83 at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 30 12:48:32 UTC 2010

Hi !

My name ist Michael Sievers. I am studying computer science at
Paderborn/Germany. I worked together with Matthias Bolte on a project
here at Paderborn, where we evaluated the possibility of controlling
Microsoft Hyper-V using WS-Management through libvirt (which is
actually called WinRM on Windows).

At the end of the project I had a very minimalistic libvirt driver,
which was just able to connect to Hyper-V and to power cycle a given
VM.

Unfortunately, the project stopped at this point and so did my efforts
on this topic.

Since developing a full fledged Hyper-V driver for libvirt a very time
consuming effort I am currently searching for a way to do so which
incorporates with my study.

At this point I can tell you the following

- it is possible to control Hyper-V using libvirt using WS-Management
- this is actually the only way (as far as I know) to control Hyper-V
from non-Windows hosts, as you can not use WMI (which is Hyper-V main
API) from non Windows hosts directly
- WS-Management is the bridge to talk to WMI from non-Windows hosts as
there are implementations such as OpenWSman which you can use
- doing complicated things in WS-Management (e.g. calling a function
with reference parameters) is not well documented and that's why a
pain to implement

The last point was the main reason, why the development stopped after
implementing the power cycling.

Last week I talked to my professor about this and he told me, that
maybe there is a company (unfortunately I can't tell you the name)
which is willing to support this effort financially, which would give
me to opportunity to resume development. But sadly this not for sure,
yet.

I will inform you (the libvirt mailing list) during the next two weeks
about the results.

Cheers

Michael Sievers

P.S.

Sorry for sending this mail three times to libvir-list as I did not
remembered that I once subscribed with a different email address.