[libvirt] New sub-project libvirt-snmp

Zdenek Styblik stybla at turnovfree.net
Thu Feb 3 10:36:00 UTC 2011

Hello,

On 02/03/2011 11:21 AM, Michal Prívozník wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to let you know and review the new project libvirt-snmp.
> It's aim is to provide snmp functionality to libvirt. Right now it
> supports only VM lifecycle stuff (start, suspend, destroy, ...)
> and gathering info.

I think this is a great news for many libvirt users, especially in
corporate sector.

> We can also create an .rpm (see libvirt-snmp.spec.in) but thing is
> in order to run libvirt-snmp subagent, snmpd.conf needs to be edited
> first. Is there a way I can solve this? I mean overwriting it is ugly.
> Or should i leave it just in the installation docs?

I'm not familiar with with RPM capabilities, but isn't there something
like pre/post-inst script for such needs? Sed/awk and such inside.
Also, eg. I have fixed Debian with their 'conf.d' and custom resp.
"local" configs which are included (sourced) into main .conf and
overriding it.

Anyway, I would create something like '/etc/snmpd.conf.libvirt' in
package and let user know about it eg. "You have to edit/move file X".
I'm not a huge fan of auto-magic which might do more harm than good.

But that's just my $0.02 USD.

Best regards,
Zdenek

PS: Long live Heroes of Might and Magic 3 :o)

--
Zdenek Styblik
Net/Linux admin
email: stybla at turnovfree.net