[libvirt] Need a better word than "allocated" or "ascertained"

Zdenek Styblik stybla at turnovfree.net
Mon Jan 10 13:08:43 UTC 2011

On 01/10/2011 09:55 AM, Balbir Singh wrote:
> * Nikunj A. Dadhania <nikunj at linux.vnet.ibm.com> [2011-01-07 15:23:54]:
[...]
>>> Or what happens when memory reaches 'soft-limit'?
>
> enforced is same as policing or forcing, whether or not the
> application likes it. A soft limit is enforced when we hit resource
> contention (that is the operating system finds it has to do work to
> find free memory for applications), soft limits kick in and try to
> push down each cgroup to their soft limit.

Such explanation makes more sense to me rather than proposed sentence.
However, there are some critical factors like a] my lack of knowledge on
many libvirt(or virtualization in general) topics b] I'm not a native
English speaker; which may or may not play a role.

--- SNIP ---
A soft limit is enforced when host is running short on free resources or
during resource contention. Guest's resources are then pushed to
soft-limit as an attempt to regain free resources.
Limit is in kilobytes.
Applies to QEMU and LXC only.
--- SNIP ---

I don't know. This is like 10th version and wow, what a pile of
non-sense I came with :[
Guest memory won't be pushed bellow soft limit, because guest could go
ape(OOMK/whatever) about it and we don't want that.
Could it be understood as resource allocation/reservation like in eg.
VMware ESX? But it might work differently in QEMU/LXC than in VMware.
Anyway, this is probably off-topic here.

I just would go for longer explanation rather than squeezing everything
into 5 words, which seems to be impossible to me, or changing just one word.

~~~ non-relevant part ~~~
Other things I've noticed at the page...

I would change the table to:

Name | Units | Required | Desc |
--hard-limit <limit> | kB | optional | <some description>

Or

Name | Required | Desc |
--hard-limit <limit> | optional | <some descrioption> limit is in kilobytes

Also, I think it should be 'kB' not 'kb' which means 'kilobits'[1]. I
don't want to bitch or anything like that. Please, take it very very
easy. Although, it's explained in description kb is meant as kilobytes
and it might be only me who is used on kb X kB thing. Dunno :\

I would put eg. "QEMU and LXC only" at new line, but this might be
unnecessary(= just a format issue). There also could be special column
'Applies to' and what not(at this point, I feel like I must be really
bored to come up with such stuff; please apply "sftu" if necessary w/o
hard feelings ;] ).
There is also duplication of this info paragraph below in 'Platform or
Hypervisor specific notes', thus if something changes it must be changed
at two places.

Links:
---
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KB