[libvirt] virsh bash completion file

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Oct 6 08:24:27 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 02:33:44PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 10/05/2011 02:17 PM, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've been trying out a bash autocompletion file by Geoff Low (slight hack
> >by me, don't blame him for my hack), and it's working pretty nicely.
> >I'm not sure where to put it in the git tree, but it seems like it'd be
> >nice to have upstream?
>
> What I'd rather have upstream is:
>
> virsh completion args...
>
> which outputs one string per line of valid completions given the
> context of args.  Then we could leverage a single completion code
> both from bash and from the virsh interactive shell; also, you'd
> only have to write the bash completion routines once (figure out how
> to make it call into 'virsh completion'), rather than chasing a
> moving target (update the bash completion every time new virsh
> commands and flags are added).

The patch I wrote tried todo something similar to that,
adding a bunch of hidden '_complete-XXX'  commands.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2008-July/msg00175.html

it was still a little bit too manual for my liking though.
It'd be nice if we could do a completion command that is
properly metadata driven from the command arg type data