[libvirt] libvirt changes/certification questions

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Oct 10 17:59:11 UTC 2011

On 10/10/2011 11:30 AM, Udayan Bapat wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am new to open source development and had a question about libvirt/KVM
> support in the linux kernel. In general since many people are contributing
> to the library, are there any 'standardized regressions or certification
> tests' available that make sure that that the existing libvirt
> infrastructure does not break with new changes? More particular, how does
> one make sure that given kernel version is compatible with a given library
> drop?

There is the libvirt-tck testsuite (in perl) that can be used to
validate various expected behaviors.  The kernel version is more likely
to affect qemu-kvm behavior, and not libvirt proper, but running
libvirt-tck can sometimes expose whether a qemu-kvm change (perhaps
caused by a kernel change) was enough to cause user-visible regressions
in libvirt behavior.  Beyond that, anything you can add to automate
regression testing would probably be appreciated.