[libvirt] 0.9.11 rc2, FreeBSD

Jason Helfman jhelfman at e-e.com
Mon Apr 2 21:29:42 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 10:16:46PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange thus spake:
>> >I strongly expect that the QEMU driver has a large number of Linux-isms
>> >in it. That said, I also expect all the Linux-isms to be solveable. So
>> >my recommendation is probably to enable it, then insert enough #ifdef's
>> >to get just the basics compiling. Then post the #ifdef details to the
>> >list so we can figure out an optimal way to handle the Linux-isms long
>> >term, and make suggestions on how to provide BSD alternative impls.
>> >
>> >The kernel-headers check is an example of a Linux-ism we should look
>> >to solve.
>>
>> I agree with removing the Linux-ism's, as it will only make it more
>> portable. Do you have an example of header files that I should be looking
>> for?
>
>Here are two obvious candidates:
>
>$ grep linux/ src/qemu/qemu*.c
>src/qemu/qemu_driver.c:# include <linux/kvm.h>
>src/qemu/qemu_driver.c:/* add definitions missing in older linux/kvm.h */
>src/qemu/qemu_process.c:#include <linux/capability.h>

I just saw this, so please disregard any subsequent requests to find headers
:)

Here is the source for libkvm in FreeBSD:
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/lib/libkvm/

Here are some ports for FreeBSD:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/emulators/kqemu-kmod/
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/emulators/kqemu-kmod-devel/

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/emulators/qemu/
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/emulators/qemu-devel/

There are ports for qemu for FreeBSD, that compile modules (above), and I
have used them and they work great. What information to use from those is
probably going to be a good key to figuring out what needs to get it working
for libvirt.

-jgh

--
Jason Helfman