[libvirt] Constantly changing USB product ID

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Wed Mar 28 22:52:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Jaap Winius <jwinius at umrk.nl> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Recently I learned how to configure KVM with USB pass-though functionality.
> In my case I configured my guest domain with this block of code:
>
>    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
>      <source>
>        <vendor id='0x0c93'/>
>        <product id='0x1772'/>
>        <address bus='1' device='4'/>
>      </source>
>    </hostdev>
>
> At first this worked fine, but then later the guest domain refused to start
> because the USB device was absent. When I checked, I found that its product
> ID had mysteriously changed to 1771. Later it was back at 1772. Now it
> appears that the USB device I am dealing with has a product ID that changes
> back and forth between 1771 and 1772 at random.
>
> Apparently, the Windows program running on the guest domain is designed to
> deal with this nonsense, but the question is, Can KVM be configured to deal
> with it? Something like <product id='0x177*'/> would be useful, but that
> doesn't work.
>
> Any ideas would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jaap

FWIW, if someone needs a device to test a potential patch with just
take any rooted Android phone. e.g. an HTC at the HBOOT menu presents
itself as a different product ID than when the phone is normally
booted. You can also do this with an iPhone, just hold down the power
and the home button to boot it into a "recovery" mode where it'll have
a different product ID than normal.

--
Doug Goldstein