[libvirt] Submitting a patch

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Fri Sep 21 21:06:50 UTC 2012

On 09/21/2012 04:47 PM, Shawn Furrow wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I feel really bad sending this through the libvirt-list but the email
> provided at the bottom of the patch page is rejecting my email.
>
> I have a patch for Libvirt but I am unsure how to go about doing it. I
> saw that on the patches page it says to submit the patch using
> Mercurial's patchbomb extension.

Where did you see this? libvirt has used git for a very long time, and
I've never previously heard of any suggestion to use a mercurial tool to
send a patch to libvir-list. Either the page is *way* out of date, or
referring to something else.

Up-to-date instructions for sending patches are in the HACKING file in
the toplevel directory of the libvirt tree. Basically, use "git
send-email" if at all possible.

> However, I have the current libvirt directory using git. Is there not
> a way for me to just send an email directly to the libvirt mailing
> list? I have not submitted a patch before so I do not know all of the
> in's and out's. Any guidance would be appreciated. Again sorry for
> spamming the development list.

This is the correct place to ask such questions. :-)