[libvirt] Proposing Archive / Unarchive VM Guest functionality.

Suhas Mane suhasmane02 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 13:09:34 UTC 2013

Hello Team,

Me and few of my friends are planning to add VM Guest archival
functionality.
What we are proposing is:
1.  Below diagram shows: possible states of VM guest (*archived new state
introduced*)
2.  For any reason, User / Admin expects to archive the VM guest to remote
storage space, so that storage space consumed by VM guest (disk image...
.vmdk / .img etc..) will be relived. Rest configuration files will be
intact.
3.  Later on when so called archived VM guest is to be booted, libvirt
should unarchive the VM guest to local place, and booting should proceed as
usual.

[image: Inline image 1]

I am new to Virtualization. I am using QEMU/KVM hypervisor.
Requesting to suggest how it can be achieved.
What all things I need to do.

Thanks,

Suhas Mane.