[libvirt] FYI: aarch64 test suite failures

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jan 1 15:08:13 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 01, 2014 at 02:51:30PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> In particular, any aarch64 binary which the test suite runs is
> actually run under the qemu-arm64 interpreter (using binfmt).  I'm
> guessing this explains the extra file descriptor in some tests.

More precisely, qemu opens a file descriptor for the binary, and then
seems to leak that fd across fork/exec.  Compare:

On the host:
  $ ls -l /proc/self/fd
  total 0
  lrwx------. 1 rjones rjones 64 Jan  1 15:04 0 -> /dev/pts/7
  lrwx------. 1 rjones rjones 64 Jan  1 15:04 1 -> /dev/pts/7
  lrwx------. 1 rjones rjones 64 Jan  1 15:04 2 -> /dev/pts/7
  lr-x------. 1 rjones rjones 64 Jan  1 15:04 3 -> /proc/18301/fd

In the qemu chroot:
  $ ./arm64-chroot.sh
  # ls -l /proc/self/fd
  total 0
  lrwx------. 1 root root 64 Jan  1 15:04 0 -> /dev/pts/7
  lrwx------. 1 root root 64 Jan  1 15:04 1 -> /dev/pts/7
  lrwx------. 1 root root 64 Jan  1 15:04 2 -> /dev/pts/7
  lr-x------. 1 root root 64 Jan  1 15:04 3 -> /usr/bin/bash
  lr-x------. 1 root root 64 Jan  1 15:04 4 -> /usr/bin/ls
  lr-x------. 1 root root 64 Jan  1 15:04 5 -> /proc/18331/fd

So anything which is testing file descriptors should probably be
skipped until we can afford to run this on real hardware or qemu gets
system emulation of aarch64.

Rich.

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v