[libvirt] [v11 0/6] Write separate module for hostdev passthrough

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at suse.com
Fri Jan 24 18:41:21 UTC 2014

Laine Stump wrote:
> On 01/24/2014 07:33 AM, Jim Fehlig wrote:
>
>> Chunyan Liu wrote:
>>
>>> These patches implements a separate module for hostdev passthrough so that it
>>> could be shared by different drivers and can maintain a global state of a host
>>> device.
>>>
>>> patch 1/6: extract hostdev passthrough function from qemu_hostdev.c and make it
>>> reusable by multiple drivers.
>>> patch 2/6: add a unit test for hostdev common library.
>>> patch 3/6: switch qemu driver to use the common library instead of its own
>>> hostdev passthrough APIs.
>>> patch 4/6: switch lxc driver to use the common library instead of its own
>>> hostdev passthrough APIs.
>>> patch 5/6: add a hostdev pci backend type for xen usage.
>>> patch 6/6: add pci passthrough to libxl driver.
>>>

>> Thanks for addressing my comments from V10.  Any objections to applying
>> this series now?  hostdev passthrough is long overdue in the libxl
>> driver :).
>>

> Since this is replacing the existing pci passthrough code in both the
> lxc and qemu drivers, I think we need both a line-for line comparison
> and some real test time. I can do the code audit and some amount of
> testing for qemu,

I've done quite a bit testing of this series with the qemu and libxl
drivers, on various configurations

- iommu=off
- Broadcom BCM5709 with no FLR
- Intel I350 with FLR
- Intel I350 vf's

But I have stared at this code enough to be the author :), so would
certainly be good to have another set of eyes review it.

>  but may be out of commission for the next 3 days. I'm
> not sure about lxc. I also agree that we really need to get this in,
> just so we can stop worrying about missing bugfixes that have been put
> into the qemu hostdev code.

Do you think you will have time to review the series before 1.2.2?  I
realize not many folks here are using xen, but this series has been on
the list for many months now, and hostdev passthrough is a sorely missed
feature in the libxl driver compared to the legacy xen driver.

Thanks for the help with this series!

Regards,
Jim