[libvirt] ceps-based backing stores

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Thu Oct 30 10:03:52 UTC 2014

On 10/30/14 01:15, Lyssa P. Livingston wrote:
> I have a file with an ceph-based backing store.  I run this command:
>
>     nova boot vm-clone
>
> where vm-clone is the rbd-backed file.  It generates this command:
>
>     qemu-img create -f qcow2 -b rbd:rbdpool/disk/instance-00000002.0.disk:conf=/etc/ceph/ceph.conf:id=admin -F raw /mnt/novadisk/nova/instances/3efa8a7b-75a8-4695-8fdd-659185c46b7d/disk
>
> and I am getting this error:
>
>     error: internal error: backing store parser is not implemented for protocol rbd

Libvirt is parsing the information saved in the backing store field of
an image to re-create the backing chain structure in memory.
Unfortunately I didn't implement all the possible formats for this as
there's a lot of them and one of the missing pieces is the colon syntax
for RBD volumes.

I'll try to come up with a patch for this that will allow to recognize
the RBD volume as a remote one where libvirt isn't able to access it and
allow to start the VM.

> I was under the impression that qemu could work with ceph-based backing stores, so is there something I should run first, or files that I should patch, or ... ???  I am running libvirt 1.2.9.  Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Qemu is able to handle those. Libvirt currently doesn't support the syntax.

> 				Lyssa

Peter