[libvirt] retiring v0.9.6-maint

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Sep 18 15:15:10 UTC 2014

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 04:24:07PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>> Any objections to retiring the v0.9.6-maint branch?  After all, we have
>> already retired the v0.9.11-maint branch
>> (http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=commit;h=cd0d348ed), and the
>> only activity on v0.9.6-maint since 0.9.6.4 was released in January 2013
>> was the backport of a single CVE fix.  The branch no longer builds
>> cleanly on Fedora 20, and while I could identify patches to backport to
>> fix the build situation, it's not worth my time if we can just retire
>> the branch.
>
> FWIW, I'm not really a fan of deleting the branches. Is there any harm
> to just leaving it there idle ?

The branches aren't deleted, per se, just a new commit added on top of
the branch that declares the intent.  For example, all you see if you
check out v0.9.11-maint is this README file:

http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=blob;f=README;h=68aeed1ae7d131661f2ba07eff1b4ae16ac4f3b8;hb=cd0d348ed

The branch would still usable by checking out v0.9.11-maint^ as a
detached head, so the history is still there.  All I'm proposing is
documenting that we aren't going to try and port security fixes to the
branch any longer, because no one appears to be actively using it.