[libvirt] Building libvirt under Windows

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Apr 16 12:43:07 UTC 2015

On 04/16/2015 03:52 AM, Pavel Fedin wrote:
>  Hello!
>
>  I am currently building libvirt under Windows64, and i would like to ask
> for correct way to do it.
>  The first thing to resolve is absence of RPC XDR library. From configure
> source i figured out that portablexdr library may help. I have downloaded
> it, but it comes with a different RPC code generator named portable-rpcgen.
> I managed to use it, but i had to patch both libvirt (in order to recognize
> this generator and handle it properly) and portable-rpcgen (in order to
> correctly work under Windows, as well as get rid of some crashes).
>  Initially i wanted to upstream portablexdr fixes and emailed the author.
> But the author replied that he is not going to fix portablexdr because it's
> now deprecated, since original XDR code comes under free license now. So, i
> have all necessary fixes in my own fork. He suggested me to come here to ask
> about these things.
>  So, guys, how do you do it ? I cannot find any rpcgen package usable under
> Windows (MinGW, not Cygwin).

I haven't done much testing of the resulting project, but the
./autobuild.sh script is able to cross-build for mingw when run on a
Fedora system, if you have enough of the mingw-* packages installed on
Fedora.  This includes mingw64-portablexdr (I have no idea if the mingw
project will be shifting to a different xdr package any time soon).