[libvirt] Building libvirt under Windows

Pavel Fedin p.fedin at samsung.com
Mon Apr 20 12:12:16 UTC 2015

 Hello!

> I haven't done much testing of the resulting project, but
> the ./autobuild.sh script is able to cross-build for mingw when run on
> a Fedora system, if you have enough of the mingw-* packages installed
> on Fedora.  This includes mingw64-portablexdr (I have no idea if the
> mingw project will be shifting to a different xdr package any time
> soon).

 So, we need portablexdr on Windows. Can we convince the author to add the necessary fixes, or take over the maintainership ? Below is a snip from his original reply to me:
I'm unlikely to fix any bugs in portableXDR now.  The original reason for having it was because XDR was under a non-free license, but that has been resolved, so you can use XDR code on Windows.

Anyway, you might want to send your observations to libvir-list at redhat.com since that's where the libvirt developers hang out.

 I also have here the necessary patches which allow me to build libvirt natively under MinGW using portablexdr and its rpcgen. But, first we need fixed portablexdr version. Its rpcgen is currently broken twice (i found the second bug after sending that email).

Kind regards,
Pavel Fedin
Expert Engineer
Samsung Electronics Research center Russia