[libvirt] [RFC] libvirt hexagon sticker design

Erik Skultety eskultet at redhat.com
Mon Feb 26 08:50:05 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 09:23:17AM +0100, Cedric Bosdonnat wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> On Mon, 2018-02-19 at 09:44 +0100, Erik Skultety wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> > those who attended at least one conference for the past year have probably
> > noticed the rising trend (more like "sticker hype") of FOSS projects giving away
> > these hexagon stickers, it's very inexpensive way of making some promo for
> > their project and since we don't do many promos (AFAIK none to be precise) I
> > guess as a project that's been going strong for 12 years already we should
> > probably start somewhere, even baby steps count (as it turns out in this case -
> > - literally...). So, I've taken our libvirt-publican repo and came up with a
> > few various color combinations for libvirt hexagon sticker design. Below you
> > can find links to my personal google drive (these are hexagon meshes, I can,
> > or anyone can for that matter, isolate individual designs and send them as
> > separate patches on demand), since each of the SVGs is over 1.5MB and I'd easily
> > run into message size limits for the mailing list, had I gone with sending these
> > as patches against libvirt-publican.
>
> Haven't seen that many hexagon stickers at the last Google mentor summit, but
> generally speaking I agree that we need some sort of sticker (whatever shape it has).
> I like the design of the link [2], may be more the dark fill and light (not white)
> border, but may be we should gather those into a poll somehow.

Why can't we have both? Suits everyone, just like NHL jerseys - one with a
light base and a second one with a darker-colored base :). I'm still to rework
the design with the latest SVG set which Dan re-worked as part of the webdesign
work (I still like the original SVG more because the font is a bit bolder) but
I had some issues with object alignment in inkscape because of a large bounding
box the 'Drop shadow' caused and I just didn't like micro pixel adjustments to
the object position just to get it centered within the hexagon area, so I sent
patches to mitigate the issue and I'll post a v2 of the design this week.

Erik