libvirt 6.6.0 tarball breaks on Homebrew/MacOS

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Wed Aug 19 07:39:31 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-08-18 at 20:41 +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> We have dropped autotools entirely in favour of meson+ninja as our
> build system. This will be in the 6.7.0 release in just under 2
> weeks time.
>
> So I'd suggest you do the minimum possible to get 6.6.0 working on
> homebrew, by just applying a local patch to the tarball for that
> problem code, since this will be a one-off problem.
>
> Keep your time free for debugging any issues that the meson conversion
> might expose instead.

This is actually the perfect time to test whether the Meson
conversion affected macOS negatively, since we still have time to fix
it before 6.7.0 is out.

Since you're interested in libvirt on macOS, you could also take a
look at

  https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/58

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get back to it but Ryan Schmidt,
who is the libvirt maintainer for MacPorts, has done some work to
track down the issues preventing the test suite from completing
successfully on macOS. Perhaps you could help too? :)