Proposal: drop support for Hyper-V 2008R2

Matt Coleman mcoleman at datto.com
Fri Oct 30 15:17:31 UTC 2020

> On Oct 30, 2020, at 8:09 AM, Alvin Starr <alvin at netvel.net> wrote:
>
> Not sure if this is still the case but I found different capabilities between different license levels of the same product.
> This was years ago so the details are vague now  but in essence the problem I ran into was differences between SMB handling of certain events.
> The problem systems had been licensed with a clustering feature enabled.
>
> So Windows 2012 my not operate the same between all licensing options.

Interesting, I haven't come across any differences due to licensing
options yet. I'll keep that in mind as I continue to work on this code.
Thanks!

The differences I was referring to are things like a function parameter
taking completely differently-formatted values in 2008R2 vs. 2012, such
as WMI object selectors in some functions. Microsoft's documentation
will only describe one of the variants, and it varies from function to
function whether it describes 2008R2 or 2012.

Based on this thread and a discussion on IRC today, I think I should
entirely remove support for the V1 API. Since 2012's V2 support is
incomplete, that would effectively mean dropping support for both
2008R2 and 2012, leaving 2012R2 and newer fully supported.

--
Matt