Proposal: drop support for Hyper-V 2008R2

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Oct 30 12:09:01 UTC 2020

On 10/30/20 7:02 AM, Matt Coleman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been getting familiar with Hyper-V recently and have gotten
> stymied by inconsistencies in its API.
>
> While Hyper-V has V1 and V2 APIs, neither one is consistent between
> Windows versions. For example...
> * Windows 2012 only supports a subset of the V2 API
> * Windows 2012 implements some V1 functions differently than 2008R2
> * Windows 2016 broke compatibility with 2012R2 by replacing some classes
>
> Some of these differences are undocumented, too, which is just lovely.
>
> Most of these changes are relatively easy to handle, but the
> differences between 2008R2's and 2012's implementations of the V1 API
> result in libvirt code with a lot of conditionals containing obscure
> format strings in the 2008R2 blocks.
>
> Windows 2008R2's extended support ended January 14, 2020:
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-server-2008-r2
>
> Windows 2012's mainstream support ended in 2018, but it still has
> extended support through October 10, 2023:
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-server-2012
>
> Since 2008R2 is no longer supported by Microsoft, I propose removing
> support for it from libvirt.
>
> Thoughts?

Not sure if this is still the case but I found different capabilities
between different license levels of the same product.
This was years ago so the details are vague now  but in essence the
problem I ran into was differences between SMB handling of certain events.
The problem systems had been licensed with a clustering feature enabled.

So Windows 2012 my not operate the same between all licensing options.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (647)478-6285
alvin at netvel.net              ||